ON OBAMA’S WAR AGAINST THE CHURCH
- ANDREW McCARTHY
- “The Contraceptive Mandate’s Shaky Foundation”, (National Review Online) This one especially helpful.
- “First They Came for the Ahmadi, Then Everyone Else” (Nation Review Online). At its first reading this one may not quite fit the collection, but it does.
- GEORGE WEIGEL
- George Weigel says this (National Review Online)
- “The Libertine Police State”, (National Review Online)
- “The Catholic Betrayal of Religious Freedom” (National Review Online)
- “HHS and Soft Totalitarianism” (First Things)
“The Catholic Diaspora and the Tragedy of Liberal Catholicism” (First Things)
- “The Battle Continues” (National Review Online)
- “Obama’s Contraception Spin Machine” (National Review Online)
- “This Is Social Justice” (National Review Online). Religious Freedom is a Social Justice issue.
- “Religious Freedom: It’s not just Pakistan and China“(Crisis)
- “After ‘United’“ (National Review Online)
- “The Religious-Liberty Issue“ (National Review Online)
- “Liberty, Faith, and Obama’s Leviathan” (Standpoint)
- “Theology Deficit“ (National Review Online)
- “Social Justice Priorities: Life and Religious Liberty“ (Crisis)
- “Religious Liberty and Its Contemporary Enemies“ (Crisis)
- “The Roberts Opinion “ (National Review Online)
- “The War on (little) Women and Other Insanities“ (Crisis)
- “The Church and the End of the Welfare State“ (Crisis)
- “The Endgame of 2012″(National Review Online)
- “The Church and the Mandate “ (National Review Onlie). Not a Catholic fight — an American fight
- JAMES SCHALL
- “Under the Control of the State”, (Catholic World Report)
- “Political Withdraw”, l (The Catholic Thing)
- “On Things not Subject to Human Government” (Catholic World Report)
- “Separation of Church and State Revisited“ (Catholic Thing)
- “On Georgetown and the Essential Unity of All Knowledge ” (via Ignatius Insight)
- “The Duty to Throw off Such Government“ (Crisis)
- “What is a Constitution?” (The Catholic Thing)
- NOTE TO JEWS: After they go after the Catholic Church they will come after us, David Goldman/Spengler (PJ Media)
- “Catholic-Jewish Solidarity for Religious Freedom“, David Goldman/Spengler (PJ Media)
- “Blithe Christianity and the Last Free Election”(Ignatius Insight)
* * *
IT’S HERE, IT’S COME (God Save Us)
Mandate Goes into Effect
It is a dark day for religious liberty.
When Does Religion Become Illegal?, David Goldman (PJ Media)
* * *
- BOOK: Catholicism and Democracy by Emile Perreau-Saussine
- “An Essay in the History of Political Thought”, Gerald Russello (Catholic Thing)
- “Understanding the Liberty of the Church“, Gerald Russello (The Catholic Thing)
- “To Defeat Caesar Requires the Armor of Christ”, Regis Martin (Crisis)
- “Religious Freedom and the Need to Wake Up”, Charles J. Chaput (Crisis)
- “Liberalism Brings Slavery When It Confuses License with Liberty”, Anthony Esolen (Crisis)
- “The War We Are In”, Christopher Manion (Crisis). These are not the best of times. In fact, some folks say that the Catholic Church in the United States confronts today the greatest challenge in its history. Things were already tough before the November elections, but now they’re in.
- “The Institution Athwart History“, Timothy Gordon (American Thinker). In our hour of crisis, it is high time that the Church receives a modicum of non-Catholic, conservative praise for its “sealing in the vault” the ideas required by true republicanism and by human flourishing
- “Muzzling Military Chaplains”, George Neumayr (Crisis)
- “Our First Right: Religious Liberty”, Charles Chaput (Crisis)
- “The Founders’ Vision of Religious Liberty”, Thomas Jodziewicz (The Catho9lic Thing)
“The Liberal Meaning of Conscience Denies the Existence of Truth”, R. J. Snell (Crisis)
“Sex, Lies, and School Bus Rides“, Edward H. Stewart, Jr. (American Thinker). A history lesson with points.
- “Catholic Reaction to Obama’s HHS “Compromise””, Kenneth Whitehead (Crisis)
- “It’s About Contraception”, Katie van SAchaijk (Crisis)
- “Leviathan Rising” (Crisis)
- “Obama’s Attack on Religious Freedom: It’s Worse Than You Think“, David P. Deavel (Crisis)
- “Crony Contraception”, David Catron (American Spectator). Why the HHS is fighting so hard to enforce the anti-conscience mandate.
- “What the Reformation has Wrought”, Charles J. Chaput (Crisis)
- “Obama’s Disregard for Our European Inheritance Imperils American Freedom”, Gerald Russello (Crisis)
- “Religious and Secular Arguments“, Francis Beckwith (The Catholic Thing)
- “The Contraceptive Imperative”, Kenneth Whitehead (Crisis)
- “Catholics Must Face Squarely the Dire Threat to Religious Liberty” , George Rutler (Crisis)
- “For Liberals, Religious Freedom Means Freedom from Religion”, Thomas Fleming (Crisis)
- “American Catholicism’s Pact With the Devil“, Paul Rabe (Ricochet)
- ““Religious Freedom and National Security”, William Inboden (Policy Review)
- “Equality and Catholicism”, James Kalb (Catholic World Report). Neither equality or freedom can be the highest standard, but must refer to some greater, final standard.
- “Church, State, and Obama“, Conrad Black (National Review Online)
- “Religious Freedom and National Security”, William Inboden (Policy Review)
- “The Blood of Religious Liberty Enabled Freedom of Speech” , Geoffrey P. Hunt (American Thinker)
- “Barack Obama: Tearing Catholics to Pieces”, Keith Riler (American Thinker)
- “Obama’s Secularization Juggernaut”, Friedrich Hansen (Brussels Journal). Obama being Bismark.
- BOOK: Adam and Eve after the Pill by Mary Ebertsadt (Ignatius Press)
- “We Must not Comply”, Kevin McMahon (Catholic World Report)
- “New Challenges on “Birth Control”, Howard Kain (The Catholic Thing)
- “Religious Freedom: The Bigger Picture“,David G. Bonagura, Jr. (The Catholic Thing)
- “St. John Fisher and Religious Liberty”,George J. Marlin (The Catholic Thing)
- “Freedom of Religion and the Fog of Culture War“, Francis Beckwith (The Catholic Thing)
- “The America of Obama, or of Liberty Lost“ (CHIESA)
- “Myth-Busting the Mandate Debate“, Renée Mirkes (Ignatius Insight)
- “Vatican II and Religious Liberty”, Omar Gutierrez (Catholic World Review). iDignitatis Humanae, the Council document on religious freedom, represented a development of Church teaching, not a reversal of it.
- The Left Finally Goes for the First Amendment“, J. Robert Smith (American Thinker
- “Why No Coverage of This Odd Obama Remark about Religion?”, Fred J. Eckert (American Thinker)
- “The State Ruling the Church”, Fay Voshell (American Thinker)
- “Obama the Apostate”, David Catron (American Spectator)
- On the Church, the Military, and the Descent into Tyranny“, Fay Voshell (American Thinker)
- “A Forced Marriage of Church and State“, Fay Voshell (American Thinker)
- “The New Anti-Catholicism, Occupy the Vatican”, Beckwith (The Catholic Thing)
- “Leni Riefenstahl: Congratulations on the HHS Regulations”, Clarice Feldman (American Thinker)
- “Contraception and the Laws“,Hadley Arkes (The Catholic Thing)
- “Obama the Lawbreaker versus the Catholic Church“, Richard Viguerie and Mark Fitzgibbons (American Thinker)
- “Some Dare Call it Conspiracy”, William Fahry (Crisis)
- “Obama Displaces the Rule of Law with Decree“, Angelo Codevilla (Crisis)
- “A Private Matter Between a Woman and Her Vending Machine?”, Mary Rice Hasson (Crisis)
- “Secular Servility“,Anthony Esolen (Catholic Thing)
- “Not about Catholics or Contraception“, Sheila G. Liaugminas (Crisis)
- “The War on Fertility is a War on Reality”, Carl Olsen (Catholic World Report)
“Nec Laudibus, Nec Timore“, Matthew Hanley (The Catholic Thing)
- “The Church that Converted Khans”, Robert Spencer (Jihad Watch)
- “Like your Freedom, Thank the Church”, Andrew Klavan (PJ Media)
- “Obama’s War against Catholics“, Keith Riler (American Thinker)
- “The Gospel According to Obama”, Charles Krauthammer (National Review Online)
- “Obama and the Problem of Evil“,Jan LaRue (American Thinker)
- “The Political Reality Behind the HHS Mandate – Janice Shaw Crouse (American Thinker)
- Obama’s “compromise” is nothing of the sort (The Corner/NRO)
- “Religiously Supporting Obama”, Tooley (American Spectator)
- “The Church of Obama”, Mark Steyn (National Review Online)
- “Contraception Misdirection”, Mark Steyn (National Review Online)
- “21st Century Recusants”, Matthew Hoffman (Catholic World Report)
- “Leviathan Groaning”, Anthony E. (Crisis)
- “The False Promise of Contraception”, Keith Riler (American Thinker)
- “Contraception, Churches, and the Left’s Phony Argument“, J. Robert Smith (American Thinker)
- “Santorum vs Obama: the Debate America Needs” (The Catholic Thing)
- “Obama Deceives Catholics”, J. Christian Adams (PJ Media)
- “Catholics Need Not Apply?“, Andrew Sumereau (American Thinker)
- “Free Market Lessons from Contraception Fight“, Paul Hsieh (PJ Media)
- “Not about Catholics or Contraception“, Sheila G-Liaugminas (Crisis)
- “Save Religious Freedom?“ (National Review Online). Symposium.
- “Cardinal Politics“, K. L. Lopez (National Review Online)
- “Conscience Matters”, Renee Mirkes (Homiletic and Pastoral Review)
- “The Contraceptive Mandate” (Catholic World Report)
- “Tyranny, Religion, and the Fight for Freedom”, Kalb (World Catholic Report)
- “Cooperation is not an Option”, Kevin McMahon (Catholic World Report)
- “Catholic Lawsuits and the Establishment Clause“, Edward H. Stewart, Jr. (American Thinker)
- “Whitewashing Religious Law for Youngsters“, Eileen F. Toplansky (American Thinker)
- “The ObamaCare Mandate: Are Catholic Martyrs Not Far Off?“, Robert Klein Engler (American Thinker)
- “Religious Freedom: Use it or Lose It“, Dwight Duncan (Crisis)
- “Burke’s Wise Counsel on Religious Liberty and Freedom“, William Byrne (Crisis)
- PETER COLOSI
- “The HHS Mandate: A Question of Religious Freedom or the Life Issues?” (Crisis)
- “The HHS Mandate: This is About Contraception“, Peter Colosi (Crisis)
* * *
OBAMA REDEFINING “RELIGIOUS FREEDOM”
THIS IS SERIOUS, FOLKS, AND FRIGHTENING
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO OBAMA (AND THE STATE DEPT.) WORKING HAND IN GLOVE WITH “OIC” AND THE “UN” TO RESTRICT RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND FREE SPEECH. (The two cannot be separated.). SEE “PAGE” ON RIGHT FOR INFORMATION.
It is no longer “Freedom of Religion” but “Freedom of Worship” : public, permitted worship as defined by Islam. Regarding the defense of Liberty this is earth-rattling, “Obama’s Tendentious Redefinition of Freedom” (Big Lizards):
“So why would Obamunism suddenly demand a slimmer creed of freedom than the full-bore freedom of religion? What does the administration gain from the switch to freedom of worship? Alas, I fear it’s yet another act of appeasement of the usual suspects, more creeping acceptance of the virulent form of “jihadist” totalitarianism: Barack Obama is signaling that the United States, despite the words of our Founders and in our own Bill of Rights, no longer believes Muslim nations violate fundamental liberty when they discriminate against the infidel — where “infidel” means anyone who doesn’t submit to the precise form of Wahhabism, Salafism, or Khomeiniism demanded by the State.
“We no longer vigorously oppose religious violence, from head-chopping and suicide bombing down to “honor” killings and throwing acid in the faces of unveiled women. We don’t want to anger militant Islamists by insisting that schools be something less than — and something more than — propaganda mills for extremist, anti-Western, anti-Christian, and especially anti-Jew hatred that twists lives and warps souls. America, in the person of the President of the United States, is more solicitous of the feelings of those engaged in a “holy war” against us than he is of the lives and freedoms of their victims.
“In other words, it’s just another ‘bow from the waist’ abasement to the so-called ‘jihad’.”
- Obama eliminating “Creator” when reciting the Declaration of Independence. Why in the hell is he doing that? What’s his game? What’s up? Whose egging him on? Whose getting their chuckles over this insult?
- “The Libertine Police State”, George Weigel (National Review Online) READ THIS. YOU MUST.
- Islamic World Tells Clinton: Defamation of Islam Must be Prevented — in America“, Clare M. Lopez (America Thinker)
- Hilliary off script. (Jihad Watch). Good girl. Now meditate on what you just said.
- Righteous woman detained by State Dept for being a “threat” speaking the truth. (Atlas Shrugs). FORGET MY SOFT PLUG FOR HILLIARY ABOVE. This is one of the most frightening incident I’ve come across. Everything is at stake.
OTHER ARTICLES ON RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
- READ: Why Allah is Working Overtime to Get Obama reelected. (Foreign Confidential). Commentary on the Christmas church bombing in Nigeria.
- “Why Obama Should Speak Out Against Religious Persecution”, Raymond Ibrahim (FrontPage)
- “Religions of Freedom“, Jonathan D. Carsen (Festina Lenie)
- BOOK: God in Action by Francis Cardinal George. Reviewed by Brad Miner (Catholic Thing)
- CHARLES CARDINAL CHAPUT
- “Time to Take Religious Freedom Seriously”, Philip Lawler (Catholic World Report)
- Pope Benedict on Religious Freedom, George N. (Catholic World Report)
- “Christian Religiouscide in the Muslim World” (Bare Naked Islam). Well worth the watching.
- “The War Against Christians”, Clifford May (National Review Online). Why isn’t the story being told?
- “All War, All the Time”, George Weigel (First Things)
- “Crucifying Christians on Christmas” (Washington Times)
- CANADASTAN: Christian minister jailed, forced to attend mosque because he criticized Islam (Bare Naked Islam)
- “The First Freedom and the First Right”, Austin Ruse (Catholic Thing)
- “Religious Freedom and Religious Persecution”, James Schall (Ignatius Insight)
- “Is the Mainstream Media Fair and Balanced on Christian Persecution?”, Raymond Ibrahim (Pajamas Media)
- “Islam’s Global War Against Christianity”, Patrick Poole (American Thinker)
- “Tis the Season to be Supremacist” (jihad Watch). Islam stomping on Christmas.
- “Professor James Kugel: Religion’s Place in the Secular State and Armed Conflict (interview)” (ilsussidiario.net). Excellent. Ponder this. Not in total agreement, but take in.
- “Islam: Antithetical to Religious Freedom”, Janet Levy (American Thinker)
- “Islam Means the End of Religious Freedom”, Sultan Knish (via Israpundit)
- “Symposium: When does Religion Become an Ideology?”, Jamie Glazov (FrontPage)
- “The Tea Parties’ Big Sin”, Mark Tooley (FrontPage). A clear-headed exegesis of how Christianity can go off the rails in equating “Big Government” with God’s “Big Kingdom”. What Jim Wallis wants, Islam has. And what Islam does not have, Wallis apparently does not what – Liberty.
- “Obama’s Islamic Envoy: Obama is America’s ‘Educator-in-Chief’ on Islam”, Stephen Schwartz (Weekly Standard). Obama’s mission: to work with the UN and the OIC to install legislation against the ‘defamation of religion’, which means the installation of Islam. Obama the Islamist Supremacist. This is truly frightening.
- “Roots”, Maximilian Pakahuk (National Review Online).
- FIRST THINGS (Aug ’12)
- Unsustainable Liberalism,Liberalism’s contradictions are unsustainable and we must see man and nature anew.Patrick J. Deneen
- The Art of LibertyA Response to Patrick J. Deneen. Daniel J. Mahoney
- Public Life Without Political TheoryA Response to Patrick J. Deneen,Paul J. Griffiths
- Conscience and Coercion Vatican II’s teaching on religious freedom changed policy not doctrine, Thomas Pink.
- Defending Religious Liberty,R.R. Reno
- RICHARD RUBENSTEIN
- “Islam and Christianity: The Roots of Europe’s Religious Identity” (New English Review)
- “Jihad and the Roots of Europe’s Religious Identity “ (New English Review)
- “It’s Not Only About the Economy, Stupid“, Kenn Blackwell (American Spectator). Touches on the foundations – Religious Freedom.
- “Is Islam Really the Second-Fastest Growing Religion”, Ryan Mauro (Pajamas Media).
- “Christianity: First Line of Defense for the West”, Abraham Miller (Pajamas Media)
- “Drive Out the Christians – in Britain” (Bare Naked Islam)
- Top Muslim Cleric declares all Christians “life not worthy of life” – well, almost” -, Raymond Ibrahim (PJ Media)
- “Why Does the Crucifix ‘Provoke’ Muslims”, Raymond Ibrahim (Hudson New York)
- FRANCE: Muslims attack Christians coming out of church (Bare Naked Islam)